So you’ve got your braces placed and you’re ready to rock your way to a beautiful, healthy smile! You may have some questions about caring for your smile-in-progress. Like “what’s the best toothbrush for braces?” and “do I need a special toothbrush?”
Well we’re here to give you the resources you need for a comfortable treatment and to achieve the best possible smile results!
Let’s chat about how to find the perfect toothbrush to care for your budding new smile!
3 Toothbrush Features that Work Best with Braces
While every smile is unique, there are some things we all have in common when it comes to our oral health care needs – keeping our whole mouth (teeth, gums, and soft tissue) happy and healthy! Your braces are hard at work moving your teeth into healthy alignment and they need your help to give them the best environment for comfortable and efficient movement.
Now we know how important oral hygiene is to your orthodontic treatment, let’s find the tools we need to build our strong oral hygiene routine!
Here are 3 important features to look for when choosing the best toothbrush for braces:
- A small, round brushing head. Toothbrushes with smaller heads can easily reach into the back of your mouth and effectively brush your molars (which are the teeth most prone to tooth decay due to their pits and fissures). And rounded brushing heads are more gentle on your gums, which play a crucial role in stabilizing your teeth during your teeth straightening journey.
- Soft bristles. The ADA recommends that you use a soft-bristle toothbrush! Toothbrushes with harder bristles can actually damage your gums, increase their sensitivity, cause them to bleed and recede. You can even brush too hard with a soft toothbrush, so it’s important to be conscious of how hard you’re pressing against your teeth and gums.
- A comfortable handle. A toothbrush handle with a silicone grip is key to proper brushing! You’ll be able to easily maneuver around the cortures of your teeth and apply a good level of pressure for your brushing technique.
6 Best Toothbrushes for Ortho Smiles
When it comes to choosing the best toothbrush for braces, there’s only one rule – always choose a toothbrush that has the ADA Seal. (This means the toothbrush has been evaluated for safety and efficacy by the American Dental Association).
Once you see a list of ADA-approved toothbrushes, it’s time to decide between a manual toothbrush or an electric toothbrush. Both types of toothbrushes are effective for keeping your teeth in beautiful shape. Just keep in mind that you should choose a toothbrush that you’re comfortable with and know you’ll use.
Here’s a few of the most popular toothbrushes for smiles in orthodontic treatment:
- TEPE Universal Care Soft Slim Toothbrush
- Easy Braces Ortho-Brush
- Oral-B Ortho Soft
- Triple Bristle
- Oral-B Pro Series
- Phillips Sonicare Protective Clean
Do you need a special toothbrush for braces?
Now you may be thinking, “I already have an ADA-approved toothbrush, do I really need a new one?” That’s a valid point! Because at the end of the day, how frequently and how thoroughly you brush is what’s important. But keep in mind that a new toothbrush specially designed for brushing with braces is going to help make caring for your smile-in-progress easy peasy.
Want to step up your oral hygiene routine to the max? Try an orthodontic toothbrush!
An orthodontic toothbrush has all the 3 features you need and has special spacing and trim for maneuvering around brackets and braces wires. There’s a few different orthodontic toothbrush brands available and some even offer an ortho starter kit for total braces care, such as Platypus Orthodontic Care Kit for Braces.
Still have questions about the best toothbrush for braces?
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions! Our orthodontists are some of the most experienced in the area. We’re here to guide you and your child through your treatment process, from your very first visit, to your last appointment.